Our Call for Proposals is now closed. Decision notifications will be sent by July 9th, 2018.
Why speak at DjangoCon US?
- Presenters receive a free ticket to DjangoCon US! (Travel costs are not included, but potential speakers were encouraged apply for financial aid. Financial aid decision notifications will be sent by July 9th, 2018.)
- Professionally produced video of your talk published to our YouTube channel. (You may opt out of this.)
- Professional photographer on hand to photograph your talk. (Also optional.)
- Expose the Django community to new tools, practices, or ideas.
- Expand your technical, professional, and personal networks.
- Share your discoveries with a large audience.
- Give back to the Django community!
Proposing to DjangoCon US
We’ll choose a selection of talks and tutorials that we feel add up to the most enjoyable and engaging program for our attendees. Volunteers from the Django community are invited to help us pick talks, and we rely heavily on them to help us select ones that are interesting and beneficial to our attendees. Community volunteers and conference organizers will review anonymized submissions and collectively decide which ones to accept. We will notify you by July 9th, 2018 of whether your proposal was accepted.
Talks (October 15th, 16th, & 17th)
Length: 20-25 minutes or 40-45 minutes
We are looking for original and interesting talks that can benefit the diverse interests of our audience. Don’t feel boxed into Django-centric themes; we also love talks about community, web development, user experience, and more. If you’re a first timer - don’t fret! We would love to be remembered as the conference where you started your speaking career.
Here are some examples of what has been accepted over the last couple of years:
Tutorials (October 14th)
Length: 3-3.5 hours
We’re open to all kinds of ideas, especially ones we haven’t thought of! Technical tutorials tend to be more popular, but we welcome all topics. Tutorials can be targeted at any experience level — just be sure to indicate clearly what you expect your students to already know or have experience with.
Still unsure if you should submit? Not only will we cover your DjangoCon US ticket, but tutorials are compensated.
Lightning Talks (October 15th, 16th, & 17th)
Not up for a full-on talk or tutorial? Looking to give your first talk at a conference? Lightning talks are talks under 5 minutes with or without slides on almost any topic you want! Even if you’re nervous or shy, remember: it’s a maximum of 5 minutes. Sign-ups will happen at the conference.