About This Talk
This talk will provide a practical look at how Outreachy used a combination of technical and social tools to motivate participants to complete our internship application process. Web developers who work on websites that encourage people to complete tasks will benefit from understanding the social incentive tools presented in this talk. Parts of the talk will be suitable for Django beginners who have completed one Django tutorial and are familiar with the basic concepts of models, objects, views, and templates. Everyone will appreciate the cat photos.
Sage Sharp is the founder of Otter Tech, a diversity and inclusion consulting company focused on Code of Conduct incident response workshops.
Sage is an open source developer, and has been running Debian-based Linux systems since 2003. They were a Linux kernel developer from 2006 to 2013. Sage is the original author of the Linux USB 3.0 xHCI host controller driver.
Since 2014, Sage has been a co-coordinator for Outreachy, a paid internship program for increasing diversity in open source communities. The internships are open to women (cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people, and United States residents of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/[email protected], American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander.
- 2007: OSCON “usbfs2: A new USB userspace to kernel interface”
- 2008: Ignite Portland “Open Source Rockets”
- 2009: Open Source Bridge “Advanced Git Tutorial”
- 2010: Linux Conf Australia “Superspeed Me: USB 3.0 for Linux”
- 2010: Rencontres Mondiales du Logiciel Libre” Intro to USB 3.0”
- 2011: Linux Conf Australia “Growing Food with Open Source”
- 2013: Keynote panel at LinuxCon North America “Linux Kernel Developer Roundtable”
- 2014: Linux Conf Australia “Vampire Mice: How USB power management impacts you”
- 2014: Moderator for panel at LinuxCon North America “Linux Kernel Internship Report Out”
- 2014: Presented to students at University of Waterloo ‘Breaking into Open Source and Linux: A USB 3.0 Success Story’
- 2016: Keynote at SCALE “Improving Diversity with Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs”
- 2017: Presented “So you have a Code of Conduct… Now what?” at DevXCon 2017